Tuesday, November 18, 2014

28 Days Later: My third foot unveiling

  This morning, I had my 4 week post-op.  I went with high hopes that I would receive the good news that I was healing on schedule.  This time, with decreased edema, I was more excited than nervous to see my foot.
  And the two week old cast comes off!  I exercised quite a bit with this cast on so surprisingly, there was no smell nor evidence of any significant water damage. (See Day 16: "Confessions of the Not So Perfect Patient.")




She's looking pretty good

Side view
  It's shocking how dry and scaly my feet were from being in a cast.  I gave it a good clean with alcohol solution before a the new cast went back on.

Underneath; cotton from the old cast stuck to the bottom 

Ankle trick - over pronation; a whole other issue
  The doctors and technicians were impressed with my healing.  "You must be keeping it elevated," said Dr. Brunet with certainty. "As much as I can", I responded, " and I've been exercising almost daily."  "Maybe that's helping the circulation to reduce the swelling," he said. "I'd like to keep you in a cast for two more weeks.  At that time, we will take some x-rays.  There is a 50% chance you'll move to an aircast or you could go into a stiff-soled shoe," he explained. 
  Hopefully, at 6 weeks post-op, I will be able to wear a stiff soled shoe, but either way, at least I will have the freedom to sleep without a cast on my leg. 


Notice the gap is closing between my big and second toe.

No comments:

Post a Comment