Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Hello....Is It Feet That You're Looking For?


4 months post-op


  "How is your foot?" a patient asked me as I brought him into my exam room. "What do you mean?" I asked. "Last time I saw you, you didn't have shoes on," he said. "I guess… better!" I replied surprised as my memory returned of me apologizing for the lack of footwear. My foot felt pretty good today and I forgot it was sore enough to remove my shoes only three weeks before. Progress is slow, so much so, that without reminders, they are hard to recall.
  My second experience has been a longer recovery. The first metatarsophalangeal, or MTP joint is stiff; therefore, my toe still does not bend. My brain tells me I can bend it but when I look down, nothing is happening. It’s painful to propel off my big and second toe thus movements that involve toe bending of any kind are uncomfortable such as brisk walking, standing on my tippy toes and lunging. Two weeks ago, I was reluctant to begin higher impact plyometric workouts again but I forced myself to try knowing that I could have difficulty. From my understanding, strengthening my calf and ankle could significantly improve my discomfort. I remain hopeful as I continue foot and ankle exercises outlined by my physiotherapist. My ankle is sore but hasn’t been a focus for me until now.
 Tim and I vacationed in Costa Rica at the beginning of February (3 months post-op) and I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to participate in some of the activities offered. Admittedly, walking more than 2km was challenging because I compensate by taking pressure off my right foot resulting in discomfort in my hips, legs and left foot. I have recently hit a milestone running 5km on the treadmill which put a smile on my face.
  Up to this point in my recovery, even with the set-back, I believe I made the correct decision to cut my relationship with my old friend Paul Bunion. I estimate I’m 70% healed.  The grand finale to my journey is to make my first shoe purchase. I’m anxious to shop at a mainstream shoe store because I harbour old reservations that their shoes won’t fit. I guess I’ll find out soon enough!


Now that I look at this picture, I see my feet look pretty even. Perhaps the edema has subsided enough to purchase my first pair of shoes?




No comments:

Post a Comment